Monday, August 24, 2009

Operation Wedding Cake

Operation Wedding Cake is officially complete!

First, let me say a few words about wedding cakes. I love cake, especially wedding cake. I joke that I got married for the cake. However, Dio and I never had a formal wedding, so we never had the experience of picking out that special cake. (But we DID have cake. Two, in fact.)

Wedding cakes are so precious, and such an important part of a wedding ceremony, should you choose to have one. I had only experienced the guests side of the wedding cake experience before. Staring at it throughout the wedding, marveling at how pretty it was, and wondering when I could eat it. Now, on the other end, I realize how precious this confection is. How much care goes into making it. Through the entire process, through the stress, sleeping in the kitchen, dealing with the humidity, losing decorations, gathering new ones, getting stung on the tongue by a bee, and finally putting it all together, I kept reminding myself how much I love the people I made this cake for, and how I wanted to make this the most special, wonderful cake they had ever eaten.

All day, I felt like I was guarding something so delicate and precious. The relief and pride when I placed this cake in front of them was overwhelming. I laughed as the groom lifted it up for the entire room to see, and then I retreated to the outside of the building and quietly watched them cut the cake through a window, with a huge grin on my face.

This cake that was our gift to them on their wedding day.






















(Photo courtesy and copyright of
Peter Paradise)



Immense thanks to Dio, Miss A, and my mother and father for putting up with me and helping me bake all those cakes.

And many blessings to Chaya Leia and Dave. I'm looking forward to remaking that top tier for them in a year, and watching it bring back the memories of that day.

1 comment: